It may be the month known best for its spooky holiday – Halloween – but there was no rest for our wicked ops team this October! With the snow firmly sticking to the mountain tops and the sound of studded tires clicking through the streets, it’s safe to say WINTER has arrived, and we’re stoked about it!! Here is your October memo!
First up, we’d like to say a few thank you’s and some welcomes to our newest members of the MMC Board:
Having completed their tenure on the Board, we say goodbye this season to Dave Gordon, Evan van Dyk, Brian Niska and Kimberley McIntyre. On behalf of the MMC community we would like to wholeheartedly thank each of YOU for your tireless efforts and contributions over the years in shaping the various initiatives that have become part of the Shames Mountain experience.
We’re excited to introduce our newest Board members who will be stepping up to fill their shoes – a big welcome to Rod Cox, Eric Fraser, Tara Wilson (returning) and Jack Cherniawsky. Together, these fresh faces bring a wealth of diverse experience and skills that will no doubt be an asset as we navigate an evolving industry and some potentially challenging years ahead.
- It’s been a big push on the hiring front, with the team’s efforts paying off! We’re looking forward to meeting our new recruits – travelling from both near and far. We’re also excited to welcome back our returning employees for another epic season.
- Want to join the team? We’re still recruiting for a couple of key roles – A janitor, bartender and a few more ski school instructors. If you’re a people person or perhaps a master at pouring a stiff drink, we want to hear from YOU!
- Thank you to everyone who responded to our call for staff housing. We’ve managed to secure all the rentals needed to house our staff this season.
- For those who attended the town hall, AGM or have been keeping up with some recent communications you’ll be aware that financially we’re in a tough position this season. A number of plans are in place to try to make up for the shortfalls in our piggy bank $$.
- A key change this season, based on feedback from you, is to cut down some costs through reducing operating days. This season, the lifts will be spinning Thursday – Sunday.
- Check out the MMC webpage for details on a number of our other initiatives being rolled out this season to help improve our financial position; including the Best Friend Package 2.0, Christmas party facility rental, doggy passes, uphill season pass, unlimited t-bar passes and much much more!
- We are still looking for leads on a small bobcat or tractor to load sand in our maintenance building. We’re lucky to have some incredibly competent operators, but threading the needle with the big loader feels a litttttle too risky for the long term – please help us get the word out!
- No major changes to our parking policy this year. Overnight parking continues to be restricted to the lower lot. No tow behind trailers due to safety concerns.
- The upper lot will continue to be 4×4 access and one way traffic only (up before 1pm, down after).
- Thank you to the wonderful humans (and four legged companions) who came out to support our Volunteer Saturdays this month. The team tackled a TONNE of brushing, various painting projects, sprucing up our picnic tables, and prettying up our conveyor tunnel. As a CO-OP we rely heavily on volunteer support to allow these kinds of projects to happen. Thank you again – you guys rock!
- We successfully completed our chair load test (woop wooop!), a key measure to ensure we can keep the chair spinning.
- They say if you believe in something hard enough it can come true! Well, that’s definitely the case with our REDIP planning grant. We have been utilizing the grant funds to continue engagement this month with industry professionals for the creation of a base area master plan. The plan (which is in the works) will provide a detailed vision of how we can best sustain and grow as a ski hill, tailoring the focus of future development projects.
- Did you know that the MMC webpage has an events calendar to help you plan your activities!?
- Some key upcoming events you DO NOT want to miss:
- November 3-4th 2023 – Ski & Snowboard Swap – get kitted out for the new season at Kitsumkalum Hall.
- November 18-19, 2023 – Uphill Shredfest – A NEW event this year, come celebrate the start of the uphill season and enjoy a movie, a DJ, beer and a partayyyyyyyy!
Happy October MMC! Time to start the snow dance 😉
Written by: Megan Dunstall