Happy New Year MMC! We’ve had a spectrum of…… challenging conditions to kick off 2022! But we’re still seeing lots of snappy turns and smiling faces! A little rain doesn’t scare us away…..!
Here are your January updates:
- Staffing remains a challenge as we are short in just about every department. We want to send a HUGE shout out to the whole mountain team who have been working extra hard this year. You folks are doing an amazing job keeping the lifts spinning and the poutines flying. We appreciate everything you are doing up there.
- As before, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is NOT mandatory to ski at Shames Mountain. It is, however, mandatory for access to food and drink service in the lodge and on the sundeck. We will be following all provincial recommendations and will update you if anything changes. Please refer to our website for updates as they are available.
- Please remember that our locker rooms are not a place for gathering. We unfortunately cannot allow people to gather in groups to eat indoors anywhere but in designated places where proof of vaccination is required. There are outdoor picnic tables in the base area where lunch can be enjoyed.
- Finances are in a reasonable position. With the super cold weather… followed by the oddly warm weather…. we have seen lower numbers than last year but we are hanging in there!
- Our new partnership with the libraries of Kitimat, Terrace and Prince Rupert has officially launched. 4 free day passes per operating day are available for library card holders at each library for the remainder of the season. Check in at your local library for details!
- A huge thank you to Kermode Tourism who have launched an annual $1000 scholarship to help support the professional development of our wonderful snow school pros!! This scholarship is intended to help cover course costs for returning Shames ski instructors looking to increase their CSIA and CASI certification levels.
- Please continue to respect the one-way traffic guidelines (up in the AM and down in the PM) and 4×4 only policy for our new upper parking lot.
- The new sanding shed is nearing the primary phase of completion. Thanks to Progressive Ventures for their ongoing work on this project. We will be seeking funding to insulate, and finish the inside of this building in the future.
- A plan for lodge expansion and improvements is in the works. We will tie our accessibility project into these changes.
- A proposal for future terrain expansion is also underway. This will be a member driven initiative and will require lots of help!! Please reach out to Stephen Salem if you would like to get involved.
- A huge thank you to Four Rivers Coop who have granted the Back Country Enhancement Project $15 000 for ongoing work on this initiative.
- Another huge thanks to the Terrace Community Foundation who have given us $8500 which will be put towards electrical upgrades in the existing maintenance building and lodge.
- Stay tuned for details about the ribbon cutting ceremony for our conveyor lift later this season! We had hoped to plan this for January but due to COVID restrictions we are now looking at March.
Thanks for reading! Have fun out there MMC!!