And the SAMMY goes to…….. our very own rockstar, wouldn’t be here without you, how do you get it all done, and seriously you’re still smiling?! Christian Theberge!!!!! “SAMMY Leadership Award 2021 honorees embody many of the mountain resort industry’s hallmarks: creativity, work ethic, entrepreneurship, selflessness, and involvement.” Christian has been with us since the beginning of MMC and we are so fortunate to have him leading the charge especially through the MANY challenges we have faced in the past couple of years. We are SO proud of you Christian, endless thanks for all you have done and continue to do for our mountain.
Now for your November updates:
- Get those skis and boards tuned up, opening date is slated for December 4th!!
- We continue to work on staffing a full roster. Most notably, we still need a snowcat operator, a full time lift operator and kitchen staff!!
- The hill will be closed to the public Nov 27th/28th for our annual staff training. Please respect these closures and give our new team some space to learn the ropes!
- As of right now, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is NOT mandatory to ski at Shames Mountain. It is, however, mandatory for access to food and beverage service. This includes upstairs in the lodge as well as the sundeck. We will be following all provincial recommendations and will update you if anything changes. Please refer to our website for updates as they are available.
- We have hit a couple of speed bumps with the new parking lot. As previously announced, the lot is complete but due to some delays in the completion of our new sand shed as well as equipment malfunction, it’s going to be a little while before we have the capacity to keep the lot cleared. We hope to have these issues sorted out by Christmas break but we can’t currently make any promises. Please stay tuned for updates.
- Camping will still be restricted to the lower lot and for safety reasons, we are unable to allow tow-behind trailers. Stay tuned for our official parking policy. For plowing efficiency and safety, all of our lots will eventually need to be resurfaced with crush – this is on the radar for next year.
- Aside from some final details, the conveyor lift is ready to rock and roll. This is going to be a game changer for kiddos and folks who are new to the sport. Tubing lanes are expected to be open by Christmas break (can’t do much tubing without tubes which are somewhere in the hinterland en route westward). As with our handle tow, the conveyor lift will be free of charge. Tube rentals will be sold by 2 hour time slots and will be 50% off for all MMC members. Continue to stay tuned for updates!
- We continue to complete primary assessments for our lodge accessibility project. We are in the early stages and would love your input!! Please complete the Shames Mountain Lodge Accessibility User Survey if you have any thoughts or personal experience that may help us to be thorough as we move to finalize plans and secure funding to make sure our lodge is universally accessible.
- A plan for FUTURE lodge expansion and improvements is in the works. This is a ways out but ideas are being rolled around and experts consulted!
- A proposal for future terrain expansion is also underway. This will be a member driven initiative and will require lots of help!! Please reach out to Stephen Salem if you would like to get involved.
- A HUGE shout out to the coolest and most dynamic guy at Shames, our very own Ski Patrol Director and Caretaker, Adrien Grabinski who repped us hard in the Matchstick Productions film, Stomping Grounds. We screened the film in Terrace and Prince Rupert and both events were a great success! It was incredible to feel the buzz in the crowd when the Terrace segment hit the big screen! Thank you to the Twin Tillicum Theaters and Cowpuccinos for hosting! Thank you to Kermodei Tourism and Northern Escapes Heli-Skiing for their sponsorship! And finally, thank you to everyone who came out to elevate the STOKE!
- Thank you to Unbound Gear & Apparel and Butter Salon for hosting an awesome MMC fundraiser at the Legion a few weeks ago! A hoot was had by all!
Thanks for reading! If you would like to get involved at the board level or in any of our current or future projects, please reach out to a board member or the downtown office. See you out there MMC! 8 more sleeps!
Photo credit: Steve Milum