Thank you weather Gods for a gorgeous closing weekend!! How great was it to have everyone back together to celebrate another successful season!?!? Zippy groomers, a fiercely competitive slush cup and sunshine all round. Hard to believe it’s all over….!
To the 1965 (up from 1753!!!) members of My Mountain Co-op, here are a few updates to wrap up the 2021-22 season!!
- It was a uniquely challenging year, but Christian and his amazing team have officially pulled it off! On behalf of MMC and all other participants, thank you to everyone who was part of the Shames Mountain team this year. We know you worked your butts off and we can’t emphasize enough how appreciative we are.
- This season’s highlights include our fabulous new snow cat, new internet and software systems, the conveyor lift and our new parking lot. It has also been fantastic to see the return of our school programming which was dearly missed during the early COVID period.
- The most significant challenge we experienced this season was the impact of operating without a fully staffed roster. This had a significant impact on the wellness of many of our team members and we are brainstorming ways to ensure this doesn’t happen again next year.
- Annual shutdown is now essentially complete and we are in the process of moving operations back to the town office.
- As everyone is aware, there have been many major projects unfolding over the past couple of years. Before biting off anything else, we will focus on tying up loose ends to get the outdoor washrooms, the conveyor lift, the new maintenance building and parking lots finished off.
- Check out the PRPA promo film featuring some of our most radical young skiers!! Thanks again PRPA for helping to make these projects a reality. The conveyor lift was SO WELL loved this year and will continue to prevent parental back injuries for years to come! A formal grand opening will be scheduled for January 2023.
- We finished this year in a very similar financial position to last year.
- Our finance committee will be meeting over the next few weeks to review the year and make recommendations for our 2022-23 schedule. Moving ahead we will continue to pace ourselves with inflation to ensure we continue to fulfill our dueling cornerstones of Sustainability and Affordability.
- Closing weekend was an absolute HOOT! Congratulations to slush cup aficionado, Polly Rudderham on a ridiculously stylish win!
- Stay tuned for 2022 Golf Scramble details!
- AGM – September 27th 2022
Please contact Cait to get your name on a volunteer list for any of the following initiatives. Please please please and thank you thank you thank you!
- Any volunteer opportunity that comes up ever (recommended)
- Golf Scrambles (Kitimat, Terrace and Prince Rupert)
- Recruiting sponsorship and and silent auction items
- ‘Day of’ volunteers for each of the three events
- On-mountain summer Working Bees
Photo Credit: Dave Gordon