Avalanche Awareness Weekend
Skiing is a fun, thrilling and exciting experience where we get to pick the level of risk we are willing to take. Some of those risks are evident and visible: speed, obstacles, other people, etc. Others are not as obvious: exposure to cold, tree wells or Avalanches.
This weekend is dedicated to raising the public’s awareness around Avalanches. It is highlighted by the Northern Backcountry Connection event hosted by Unbound and Arc’teryx. As well as an Uphill Race on Sunday, along with a beacon hide and go seek event.
Friday, Jan 19th
- Gear Up with Arc’teryx ambassador Abby Cooper at Unbound Gear & Apparel
Saturday, Jan 20th
- Backcountry oriented films in Galloways bar.
- Free Hot Chocolate at Arc’teryx information tent.
- Backcountry Refresher Clinic with Arc’teryx ambassador Abby Cooper at Shames Mountain
- Shreducation Social at Sherwood Mountain Brewhouse
Sunday, Jan 21st
- Natural Terrain Assessment Clinic with Ryan Merrill of Northern Escape Heli-Skiing at Shames Mountain
- Uphill Race on Green Route
- Registration 8:30 to 10:30 Ticket office
- Race Start at 11 (mass START)
- Adult and Youth Category
- Winner announcements 3:30 in bar
- Avalanche Beacon Hide and Go Seek
- 11:30 at the Beacon Park above Tower 2
- 2:30 Pm in Galloways Bar
- Solo Artist: Jess Hochins