My Recreational Mountain Co-operative (our legal name), is a “non-profit community service co-op” formed in 2011 with the goal of operating the Shames Mountain Ski Area. MMC is incorporated under the “Co-operative Association Act” of the Province of British Columbia.
A non-profit community service co-op is a co-operative that provides a service for its community. MMC’s service is Shames Mountain. The non-profit aspect means that any revenue generated by the co-operative is returned to its operation and not into the pockets of its shareholders.
When Shames Mountain was put up for sale, the owners were looking for a buyer who would keep Shames running for the community. In 2008, a non-profit society called Friends of Shames (FoS) was created. FoS arranged for the completion of a feasibility study and business plan to determine the best possible business model to purchase Shames Mountain Ski Area. The outcome of the research and planning indicated that a non-profit community service co-operative model had the best chance of success.
MMC is governed by a Volunteer Board of Directors which is nominated and elected by the membership. This means the future vision of Shames Mountain is being created to reflect the values of our membership.
- Owning your own mountain and having a say on how it develops.
- Each member gets one vote on any issue that is brought before the membership.
- Any member can be a Board Member.
- Members can catalyze change through the proposal of resolutions.
- Members also receive a $100 on their seasons pass.
Membership is a lifetime share in MMC. One is a member of the co-operative. A season pass lets you ski at Shames Mountain any day you would like for the season your pass is valid for!
No. One does not need to be a member of the co-op to purchase a season pass or ski at Shames.
MMC has over 1200 members and is growing every year.
No, memberships are non-transferable in nature.
Yes, but you still only get one vote.
- Individual Shredders Lifetime Membership are $299.
- Junior Shredders Lifetime Membership (0-16 years of age) are pro-rated based on age at time of purchase (fee must be updated annually to be a member in good standing).
- Business Lifetime Membership are $599.
- Green Starter: $1,500 to $5,000
- Blue Intermediate: $5,001 to $10,000
- Black Diamond Advanced: $10,001 to $50,000
- Double Diamond Expert: $ 50, 001 to $100,000 +
- King of the Hill: $ 250,000 +
Please contact Tara Wilson, MMC Director 250.631.2809 or Christian Theberge, GM 250.635.3773